Search

Mercy Secondary School, Inchicore

Mission Statement

Mercy Secondary School, Goldenbridge is a Catholic/Christian voluntary Secondary School under the trusteeship of CEIST.

We are committed to creating a safe, supportive and happy learning environment within which each student is encouraged to develop her full potential.

We nurture the spiritual dimension of life based on faith in God and strive to develop respect for self, others, community and the environment. 

School History

The history of the Mercy order in Goldenbridge dates back to 1855 when a small group of nuns left Baggot Street to found a convent here in Inchicore. Their intention was to open and conduct a national school for the education of the poor children of the neighbourhood.

Between 1854 and 1861 Cardinal Cullen assisted them by leasing the land on which the present Secondary School stands at a rent of £63.00 per year from a Mr. Page.

Apart from their work in the national school which they had set up in 1855, they also helped in the rehabilitation of women prisoners who were sent to Goldenbridge having already served most of their sentences elsewhere. They opened a laundry and accommodated the nuns who cared for the prisoners in the long grey building which is presently used for teaching home economics, sewing and typing. The now restored grey building still houses a beautiful Oratory where our present students and staff can reflect and pray.

The Mercy sisters continued to manage the national school and the Secondary School originated as a secondary top in 1942 under the Primary Branch of the Department of Education and Science. At this time, the students were educated up to Intermediate Certificate level, having completed a two year course in Maths, Irish, English, History and Geography combined as one subject and Domestic Science. There were nineteen pupils in the first Intermediate Certificate class, under the leadership of Sr. Anne Philomena.

The first Leaving Certificate students sat their examinations successfully in 1950. There were seventeen students in all, four of whom entered the religious life. In 1975 the school transferred from the Primary Branch of Education to the Post Primary Branch, thereby becoming a full Secondary School. At this stage the Department of Education merely supplied pre-fabs to cater for the growing numbers which had now increased to approximately 400 students and 32 teachers both lay and religious.

The Mercy order, diligent as ever, were determined to build a new school to facilitate their growing numbers and continue their efforts in the education of the students of Inchicore. With the help of past pupils, parents, residents of Inchicore and the surrounding area and the Department of Education, another milestone in the history of the school was reached in September 1985, when the new building was blessed by Most Rev. Dr. Joseph Carroll, Auxiliary Bishop of Dublin and opened officially by the then Minister for Education Mrs. Gemma Hussey T.D.

Sr. Anne Philomena was the first Principal in the Secondary School, followed by Sr. Agnes, Sr. Angela and Sr. Mary. In 1991 the first lay Principal, Mrs. Carmel Solon, was appointed. She was followed by Eamonn Corrigan in 2003 and Treasa Leahy who was appointed Principal in 2006.

The Catholic ethos of the Mercy order still prevails and will be a worthy legacy to future generations of people in Inchicore.

As part of teaching and learning in the 21st century excellent and exciting programmes have been introduced. Programmes like the Leaving Certificate Applied (LCA), the Transition Year Option (TYO) and Junior Certificate Special Programme (JCSP) have provided a more inclusive education for the student cohort. New teaching methodologies have been introduced.

Information Technology is a great source of assistance to the teacher and learner alike. Pastoral care continues to be a high priority and the introduction of Social Personal and Health Education (SPHE) on the curriculum allows for the girls to reflect and develop skills that will support them in the years ahead.

Other initiatives were introduced to support students completing school. These included Home work Clubs, Mentoring programmes, Soccer and Music are just some of the school activities that support teaching and learning in the school.

The achievements of our students are too numerous to list. They reflect the great work and are a credit to the co-operation between that the home, the school, the local community and the Mercy Order. We continue that work today meeting the challenges and needs of educating young women and facilitating their learning so that they have skills and knowledge necessary for the changing world today.
 

logo

Address:
Goldenbridge, Inchicore

Tel:
01-4531262

Fax:
01-4735335

Email:
info@mercyinchicore.ie

Website:
http://www.mercyinchicore.ie

Principal:
Dr. Treasa Leahy

Deputy Principal:
Ms. Ann Gavaghan