Search

Presentation College, Athenry

Mission Statement

Presentation College, Athenry is a voluntary secondary school which is predominantly Catholic in character not in any sectarian sense but in the expression of our Christianity through our Catholic faith.

As a school community we commit ourselves to hand on our Christian faith and Christian values

  • by fostering a love of God in one another through our daily prayers, symbols, rituals and example;
  • by cherishing all our members equally regardless of religious affiliation or cultural differences;
  • by helping one another to realise our full potential
  • and to become responsible members of society;
  • by promoting a sense of personal value, mutual respect and self discipline;
  • by encouraging each other to share in the responsibility of running the school;
  • by seeking to discern those most in need among us and responding to them.

THE CHALLENGE IS OURS TODAY TO ALLOW THE LOVE OF GOD TO TOUCH OUR HEARTS SO THAT WE WILL FIND OUR TRUE MEANING AND PURPOSE IN LIFE.
 

School History

1908
Presentation Convent in Athenry was established by the Tuam mother-house. Sisters taught in the old girls' primary school at Abbey Row until, some years later, a new Primary School was built on the parish lands at the rear of the convent.

Late 1920's
The Sisters began to provide secondary education for girls in the primary school through development of a secondary top.

1930
Four girls took the Intermediate Certificate examination, fore-runner of the present Junior Certificate.

1948
The school was registered with the Department of Education as a Secondary School and the curriculum was extended. There were 74 girls on the rolls in 1949 / 50.

1951
A new building with 5 classrooms was opened. It is still in use today as the Technology Block and was the main school building until 1980.

1952 - '53
There were 96 girls enrolled. Some travelled by train from Ballyglunin station, which featured in the film The Quiet Man ! Closed for many years, there are plans for the line to be re-opened by 2013 so once again pupils may travel by train to the Pres from Ballyglunin and further afield.

1964
The Sisters announced that boys would be admitted to the school from September, and 25 boys joined the 126 girls in the school which was now named Presentation College

1968
Sr. Brid Brennan was appointed Principal. With the advent of the Free Education Scheme and free transport in 1967 pupil numbers increased greatly.
The co-educational Coolarne school amalgamated with Presentation College.

1969/1970
There were 386 pupils enrolled, and were mainly in pre-fab classrooms.

1975
Enrolment reached 489 and a new school building was sanctioned by the Department of Education.

1980
The present school building was completed on what had previously been the football pitch.

1981
A large Gymnasium was provided by local effort.

1988
The first lay Principal, Mr. Gilbert McCarthy, was appointed and served until his retirement in 2004.

2004
Mrs. Mary Forde was appointed Principal

2007
Mr. Gerry Cloonan, Deputy Principal, retired and Mr. Luke Glynn was appointed in his place.
Sr. Mary McDonagh also retired leaving just one Sister, Sr. Catherine O'Connor on the staff.

For a more detailed history of Presentation College, Athenry see Out of the Shadows, the history of Secondary Schools in the Archdiocese of Tuam, by Fr. Kieran Waldron, published by Nordlaw Books 2002.

 

 

logo

Address:
Athenry

Tel:
091-844144

Fax:
091-850862

Email:
officepca@eircom.net

Website:
http://www.presathenry.ie

Principal:
Mr. Cathal Moore

Deputy Principal:
Ms. Anne Monaghan & Ms. Evelyn Concannon