Presentation College, Headford is a Voluntary, Catholic, Secondary School which opens its doors to all. Its aim, in partnership with parents, is to facilitate the education of its students for Christian living, by developing each one morally, socially, culturally, spiritually, intellectually, emotionally and physically. We seek to promote a caring and committed school community where learning is nurtured, where gifts are recognised and the dignity of each person is valued.
The story of Presentation College, Headford begins on Friday, August 26th, 1942, in a disused army hut located behind the Presbytery. The founders of the new school were the Presentation Sisters who had been involved in Primary Education in Headford since 1906. At first, the new secondary school catered for girls only.
In its opening year, there were seventeen students in first year and twenty in second year. By 1946, the demand for more space necessitated the use of the Parochial Hall and the Convent dining room as classrooms.
The building of the new Post-Primary school at a cost of £12,000 in 1953 was a landmark. It consisted of six classrooms, a Home Economics room and a staff room – all still part of the present structure.
The vision and courage of the decision in 1955 to become co-educational marked a new departure. The arrival of eighteen intrepid boys in 1955 was the very stuff of a truly ‘mixed’ school! Sr. Vianney guided this transition to co-education and the rapid increase in student numbers of the ‘free education’ era in the sixties and seventies. This expansion made it necessary to plan an extension, which was completed in 1978, to provide facilities for a wider curriculum.
These facilities enabled the school to offer Woodwork, Metalwork, Technical Drawing, Art, Computers, Music, Typing and Home Economics, as well as the traditional academic subjects. Thus the school broke from the narrow academic tradition and became truly comprehensive, striving to cater for the needs of all.
In 1982, inspired by the then principal, Sr. Nuala Courtney, backed by the local community and with a loan from the Presentation Sisters, a modern Sports Centre was built consisting of gymnasium / stage, ball alleys, dressing rooms and shower facilities. This new facility enabled Headford pupils and local people to pursue a wide and exciting range of sports and to enter competitions at all levels.
Sr. Bríd Brennan became principal in 1986 and with Mr. John Boner, then Vice-Principal, guided the school through the next major phase of development in curriculum and facilities. In 1991 the second major extension to the school building was opened. This new wing included a Music room, a canteen, two extra Science laboratories, a LLanguage Laboratory, Technical Drawing / Technology rooms, an extra Woodwork workshop, new classrooms, extended computer facilities and a Careers Library.
In the mid-1990s, a specialist area, consisting of rooms for Engineering, Technology, Mechanics, Electronics, Carpentry and Pottery, was added to the Gym building.
In 2004, Mr. Boner, who succeeded Sr. Bríd as principal in 1999, oversaw the construction of a Resource Centre, designed specifically to meet children’s special learning needs. The unit includes a kitchen, two rooms for small group or one-to-one tuition, an office, computer room and classroom. In 2008, the construction of a major new extension commenced. The two-storey structure will include two Woodwork rooms, a study hall and eight general classrooms.