On Sunday 4th November, Bishop Denis Nulty, unveiled a plaque at the Mercy Convent gate Carlow in recognition of the journey undertaken by seven Mercy Sisters who left Carlow and travelled to Pittsburgh, USA in 1843.
The event, attended by representatives of the Mercy order from Carlow and Pittsburgh, Council Officials and invited guests were treated to a presentation where speakers outlined the background to the 1843 journey and the work of the sisters in the United States including the founding of Mercy Hospitals, further convents, schools and most notably Carlow University. Speakers include Mons. Caoimhín Ó’Néill, Sr. Sheila Carney RSM & Brian O’Donoghue, Cathaoirleach of Carlow County Council.
St. Leo’s College Chamber Choir performed at the event and a dramatic depiction of the famous journey directed by Janice de Bróithe, was enacted by seven of present St. Leo’s College students. Post-humous Honorary Degrees were also awarded to the seven sisters in recognition of their courage and indeed their many accomplishments in Pittsburgh.
Past pupil Dr. Eimear Cotter, Director of the Office of Environmental Sustainability then presented the 8th Annual Catherine McAuley Lecture followed by refreshments. This wonderful event co-ordinated in conjunction with Carlow Museum and Carlow Co. Council was just another event to ensure Mercy ethos is kept alive in St. Leo’s College.