Graduate.ie is a free online citizenship & democracy programme for second level students in Ireland. It is a government and EU funded programme and has been in operation since 2001.
How it works
- Each week for 20 weeks of the academic year students’ logon to www.graduate.ie
- They are given access to questions, which are provided to us by various sponsoring organizations.
- They are directed by hyperlinks to the sponsors’ websites where they research the correct answers.
- They submit their correct answers to Graduate.ie.
- Computer randomly selects weekly winners from all the correct entries.
- There is at least one winner selected each week.
- The 25 winners get a free 4-day educational trip to Brussels, Luxembourg and Strasbourg.
- They spend one full day at the European Parliament where they take part in a youth parliament (Euroscola) with students from other EU member states.
- While taking part in the weekly quiz students learn about various organizations, who they are and what they do.
- Students learn about various important topics e.g. democracy & participation, environment & waste management, sustainability, climate change, health & wellbeing, entrepreneurship, careers, courses, etc.
- Students will also develop life skills such as preparing for the world of work, teamwork, collaboration and valuable insights into the vocational dimensions of life after school.
- Students will also learn about career development, leadership skills and the benefits of research.
- Students have the opportunity to win very valuable educational prizes.
- Students will have the opportunity to experience how European democracy works.
Graduate Foundation – November 2012
Full information can be found on www.graduate.ie