27 Jan 2020
Scoil Mhuire Kanturk News – January 2020
Lisa Finn Scoil Mhuire Kanturk student Lisa Finn has achieved the second highest national result in Leaving Certificate…Read More
Our vision for Mercy Secondary School, Kanturk is that it be the centre of academic excellence within a truly Christian Community, where Christian values are transmitted.
In 1895, a single storey building was erected and became known as the ‘Pension School’ and was run by the Sisters of Mercy. Pupils paid a small fee and received a broadly based education which included French, Music, Art, Needlework and Drill as well as the basic subjects.
In 1930, the Pension School came under the aegis of the Secondary Branch of the Department of Education. In 1964, a new block provided Science and Cookery Rooms. In the late 1960’s re-organisation in second level school, led to co-education in Scoil Mhuire. Extra classrooms and a Sports Hall were built during the following years. An extension on Greenfield Road was officially opened in 1987 and all pupils are now accommodated in this building.
A wide range of subjects and courses has always been on offer to students. As well as being renowned for its academic achievements, Scoil Mhuire has been successful in many extra-curricular activities, e.g. Basketball.