Search

Sacred Heart School, Westport

Mission Statement

  • Developing the potential of all students, their moral, academic, social, aesthetic, physical and spiritual education.
  • Caring for all members of the school community.
  • Developing supporting partnerships between school, parents and the local community

In keeping with the spirit of the Foundress of Mercy Schools, Catherine McAuley, we show a special interest in the poor and disadvantaged.

School History

This school was originally inspired by the vision of Catherine McAuley and the Mercy Sisters who are committed to the holistic development and achievement of the full potential of all students, particularly those who are disadvantaged or marginalised.

The Sacred Heart School was established in 1925. It operated as a boarding school for girls from the surrounding areas from 1925 - 1970. The boarding school closed in 1970 following the introduction of Free Transport. It has been in operation since then as an all-girls Secondary School.

Principals of the School from 1925 to 1971 were:

  • Mother Bernard Byrne; Sr. Anthony Dorr, and Sr. Ignatius Killeen.
  • From 1971 to 1986 Sr. Pius Dyar was Principal and Sr. Ignatius Killeen was Manager of the school.
  • In 1986 Sr. Kathleen Friel became Principal, working with the first Board of Management.
  • Sr. Mary Corr was Principal from 1992-2001. Mrs. Christina Malone was Vice-Principal from 1976-2001.
  • Mrs Mary Ryan was appointed first Lay Principal in 2001 and Mr. P. J. McDermott was appointed Deputy Principal in the same year.

 

logo

Address:
Castlebar Road, Westport

Tel:
098-25838 / 26268

Fax:
098-26268

Email:
info@shswestport.ie

Website:
http://www.shswestport.ie

Principal:
Ms. Anne Murphy

Deputy Principal:
Mr. Brendan McHugh