The management and teaching staff of St. Anne’s Secondary School Tipperary Town, in co-operation with the parents, remain committed to the provision of a broadly based education to the girls of this region and to achieving a balance between the academic social cultural, spiritual and physical components of that education, within the tradition established by the Mercy Sisters and subsequently CEIST.
The Mercy Sisters came to Tipperary Town in 1864 and the following year moved to Rosanna. Almost immediately, a primary school was opened and by the end of the century, there were several hundred pupils. This was located near the Convent Chapel.
The three-storey building which today forms the main part of the secondary school date from the early 1870’s and was built as an industrial school for girls. This continued to function until 1922. The laundry which continued after that date had been started as part of the industrial school.
Prior to 1897, some degree of post-primary education had been provided but from that year, St. Anne’s operated as a secondary school under the Board of Intermediate (Secondary) Education.
In the 1960’s, the primary school, St. Joseph’s, moved to its present location and the older buildings underwent considerable renovation and extension. In the 1970’s, a new staff-room and classrooms were built, partly on the site of the old laundry. In the 1980’s, a new science block and stairway were added and in 1996, the whole complex was extensively renovated as the first phase of an on-going development plan.