26 Apr 2018
Nuns’ lantern-lit procession through Cork to honour Nano Nagle
Gráinne McGuinness THE city was treated to an unusual spectacle last night, as a lantern-lit procession made its…Read More
The school aims to ensure an inclusive education for pupils of all abilities and of diverse culture.
The Presentation Sisters Came to Midleton in 1834. The Convent was built on a site granted by Lord Midleton and financed by the Coppinger Family and Gould Trust Fund, which had been set up in 1826 for the promotion of Catholic Education in the Diocese of Cloyne.
The Primary School was opened in 1834 and St. Mary’s High School was opened in 1902. There have been four major extensions to the High School – 1960, 1970, 1979 and in 1997. It stands today equipped to meet the requirements of modern programme’s.
We are extremely and justly proud of our great Presentation Tradition and while tradition is cherished dearly at St. Mary’s, so equally is innovation and change. Numerous changes, many of them of a pioneering nature have been wrought within The High School.
These innovations range from academic reforms to the outstanding prominence which the school has played in a wide variety of sports at national and international levels.
St. Mary’s has often taken courageous stands in matters of Civil Rights and in favour of poor and oppressed people both in Ireland and abroad. None of these changes could have been achieved without the imagination, verve and outstanding hard work in every department of our dynamic staff.