Presentation Secondary School, Tralee
Presentation Secondary School, Tralee, is a community of staff, students, parents and management pursuing excellence in all its educational undertakings.
We offer every student the opportunity to develop her abilities and talents and so reach her full potential in a caring and happy environment.
Faithful to the Catholic ethos and distinctive mission of the Presentation Congregation we encourage
- A deepening of Christian faith and moral values
- Personal and emotional development in an atmosphere of appropriate freedom
- A deep respect for academic excellence, intellectual pursuits and independent thought
- Social ease, self-discipline and social skills to deal with the responsibilities of adulthood
- A spirit of equality and justice prompting an awareness of one’s duties towards others, towards society and towards the natural world
- A lively interest in diverse artistic, creative cultural and sporting activities
- A continual inservice training and education towards staff development and support, thus preserving the traditional professional standards within the school
- A fostering of links between home, school and the wider community
Presentation Education is centred on the formation of the whole person. Our curriculum is designed so that every student is a valued member of our school and later becomes a confident, well-adjusted and fulfilled member of the wider community.
All our aims are achieved in a spirit of co-operation, shared responsibility, respect and goodwill.
The Presentation Congregation was founded by Nano Nagle a the end of the eighteenth century and the origins of Presentation Secondary School date back to July 9th, 1809, when the Presentation Sisters came to Tralee to teach the children of the area.
Their first school was in the Blackpool are of the town. Later they moved to the Parish Church and in 1824 a school was built. The school continued to develop and, despite the hardship of the famine years, the Presentation Sisters, with the co-operation of the local people, erected a new school in the 1850’s.
In 1889 Presentation facilitated the town of Tralee by providing a centre for Intermediate Examinations. Throughout the decades the school flourished and in 1978, having outgrown its premises, a decision was made to build an entirely new school on a site near the town park. The official opening of Meánscoil na Toirbhirte, Tralee, took place on March 15th, 1985.
While the school as firmly rooted in the traditional and distinctive qualities of the Presentation Sisters, successive Principals and staff have ensured that the curriculum has kept pace with modern educational thinking. They have also ensured that the school is equipped to prepare girls for higher education and the working world of the twenty-first century.