19 Dec 2018
Eureka Kells News – December 2018
St. Vincent de Paul Well done to all involved with the Christmas Jumper Fundraiser Day. We presented a…Read More
Eureka Secondary School aims to provide the highest quality education possible to meet the needs of all students, within the limits of available resources, and within an environment and ethos that promotes Christian values, mutual respect and responsible citizenship.
The school aims to offer opportunities equally to all its students, whatever their ability, circumstances or religious experiences, in order to develop each person’s potential to the full. Programmes are provided to facilitate students whose goal is further education; those who wish to enter the world of work; and those who wish to return to full-time study in the school.
The school is committed to maintaining a supportive partnership with parents who are the primary educators of their children; with employers, schools, the local community, and the parishes from which the pupils come.
The staff, the school’s most valued resource, are supported and encouraged in their work and we aim to promote their individual and corporate development through supportive structures and in-service training, both internal and external.
The school is committed to developing a community where mutual respect reigns, where personal standards of work and behaviour are high, and where students’ grow to recognise fully their responsibilities both to themselves and to others. Our hope is that when they leave school they may be better able to take their place in society as mature and responsible citizens imbued with the Christian values, which are the inspirations of this school. The school fosters an environment where bullying behaviour is not tolerated and all breaches are treated seriously.
Eureka Secondary School belongs to a worldwide community of educational service, reaching back to the founding of the Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy in 1827, now under the trusteeship of CEIST. The Sisters of Mercy first provided secondary education for girls in Kells in classrooms attached to the Convent in 1924. The school moved to the existing site at Eureka House in 1956. The school kept the name Eureka. It is assumed that the landlord who owned Eureka House, had a classical education and would have learned about Archimedes. From the beginning, the school provided a comprehensive and imaginative curriculum, and from an early stage taught Honours Mathematics, Physics, German, Art and Music at a time when these subjects were not commonly available in secondary schools. The school continues to provide a wide range of subjects, and has successfully introduced additional programmes such as the Transition Year Programme, the Leaving Certificate Applied Programme, and the Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme.