St. Joseph’s is a Catholic school under the trusteeship of CEIST, and thus its ethos is shaped on the vision of the Sisters of Mercy.
It is committed to providing a holistic education, which recognises, respects and develops the potential of each student, and does this in the context of the whole school community.
Opportunities for developing partnership links with the parent body are welcome and encouraged. The personal and professional development of staff is an important element of school policy.Access to school facilities is available to the local community.
- On March 19th, 1929 the Feast of St. Joseph Sea-View House, Spanish Point was purchased by the Sisters of Mercy.
- Captain Ellis who owned considerable property in the area was anxious to dispose of Sea –View House before he left for Dublin.
- Though the Deed of Purchase was signed on March 19th, the nuns did not take up residence until July 1st that year.
- Stables and Coach –House were transformed into a School building with 3 classrooms.
- A Secondary School was opened on September 4th, 1929. Forty pupils enrolled and this was the nucleus of St. Joseph’s School, Spanish Point.
- The Programme of the Department of Education was followed.
- A few years later the school was inadequate – so St. Joseph’s Hall was opened near the convent, and it served as classrooms and chapel.
- 1931 Boarding School opened
- 1942 Reconstruction of Woodbine Cottage for Science and Domestic Science
- 1958 New School built on present site
- 1969 First male teachers on staff
- 1971 Extension to School
- 1978 Closure of Boarding School
- 1979 Golden Jubilee of Mercy Order in Spanish Point
- 1985 Metalwork & Woodwork added to Curriculum
- 1986 Numbers enrolled exceed 400
- 1988 Introduction of the Board of Management
- 1991 Opening of Technical block
- 1993 3 classroom extension with social area
- 1996 6 classroom extension with dressing rooms
- 1999 70th Anniversary
- 2002 Introduction of BTEI
- 2002 First Third Level Course in Spanish Point
- 2004 Opening of Áras Chaitriona – Conference Centre