12 Mar 2019
St. Brigid’s Secondary School Killarney News – March 2019
Physical Education Expo in DCU St Brigids Transition year students attending PEXPO which is a Physical Education Expo…Read More
Our School is a centre of growth and development.
Our Aim is an education for life and living, which is realistic and challenging.
Our Inspiration is the Christian vision, which fosters the dignity and value of every human being.
The Presentation Congregation was founded in Cork, by Nano Nagle in 1775 and the history of St. Brigid’s dates back to 2nd October 1793 when the Presentation Sisters came to Killarney.
The foundation in Killarney was noted by the annalist with emotion: “This is the first branch transplanted from the parent tree”. The first convent and school consisted of three houses in New Street.
A new building was completed in 1803 and later an industrial school was added in which girls were taught needlework, crochet, lace making and knitting. The Killarney Lace School was to become famous.
Another building was completed in 1875. In 1948 the Presentation Sisters opened a Secondary School. The foundation stone of St. Brigid’s Secondary School was laid in 1950. In 1984 the present extension to the school was completed.