01 Jun 2020
Sacred Heart Secondary School, Drogheda News – May 2020
SHS Facebook For the latest school news updates please visit the Sacred Heart Secondary School Drogheda Facebook page….Read More
Effective learning is made possible by our dedicated professional teaching staff and a discipline code centered on respect for self and others. We believe we provide quality education in a secure, caring environment, supportive of learning and where students can reach their full potential. Sacred Heart School enhances not only academic achievement but also personal development and future employment opportunities.
This school, dedicated to the Sacred Heart, was blessed and formally opened by Dr. Kyne, Bishop of Meath on 12th September 1960.
In the convent annals we traced its roots, lineage and background history from the coming of the Sisters of Mercy from Tullamore to Drogheda in 1854. They took up residence in St. Mary’s Terrace, Dublin Road where they opened a school.
The Sisters engaged in the religious instruction of children – a work very dear to the foundress of the congregation, Mother Catherine McAuley, who enshrined in her rule for the order-“No work of mercy can be more productive to good society than the careful instruction of young girls”.
In 1885 the school was transferred to the top storey of St. Mary’s Primary School on the Dublin Road. To accommodate the increased enrolment, a more modern and spacious building was provided in 1925. This school was recognised by the Department of Education in 1934 and followed the prescribed syllabus in all academic subjects. This building became inadequate in the late 1950s and the Sisters of Mercy were faced with the challenge to provide a site and school with better educational and recreational facilities. This was achieved in 1960 with the opening of the present school at Sunnyside. The cost was financed by the Sisters, with the support, goodwill and generosity of parents, benefactors, past pupils and associates.
With the advent of free education in 1967, and the assignment of a catchment area of 20 primary schools, the urgency for further expansion arose. More classrooms, a science laboratory, geography room, library, dining area, audio-visual room and staff room were added and served the needs until 1970.
Early in the 1970s further plans for development became more apparent. In 1974 the Parents’ Council was inaugurated. Due to their dedication and increasing support, an on-going campaign for fundraising was launched to provide much needed facilities for specialist subjects and for cultural and sporting education. Extra science laboratories, music and art department, computer studies unit, religion room, oratory, fully equipped gymnasium and an outdoor sports complex with athletic area are eloquent testimony to their efforts.
It is with pride too, that the school has preserved its profile and the tradition of its rich cultural heritage and Catholic ethos.
The current School Principal is Ms. Leoni Carroll and Deputy Principal is Ms. Susan Campbell.